SS 300 Research Paper Assignment, Fall 2021
Please write a 10-page research paper investigating a major security and/or strategy problem in the world today, using theories and concepts that you have learned in this class from the lectures and the readings. Be as specific and narrow as possible! For example, NOT “In this paper I will write about terrorism.” But rather “In this paper I will write about the UAE’s strategy to defeat Al-Islah using social media from 2000 to 2020.” The topics you may choose include the following, but you may also write on something else as long as you are very specific in answering the basic questions of “What? Where? When? How? and Why?”
- Strategies against terrorism in specific countries at specific times, e.g. “The UAE’s strategy to defeat Al-Islah using social media from 2000 to 2020.”
- Strategies against drug smuggling in specific countries at specific times. e.g., “The frequency of Colombia’s extradition of drug traffickers to the US from 1990-2000”.
- Military strategies by specific countries against specific countries at specific times, i.e. “UAE’s defense strategy against Iran from 2010 to the present.”
- The military strategies of specific countries against specific insurgencies at specific times, e.g., “Saudi Arabia’s strategy against the Al-Houthis in Yemen from 2015-2021”
- Strategies against food and/or water insecurity at specific times, e.g., “How Kuwait has protected its water supplies since 1990.”
- Strategies using specific weapons by specific countries, e.g., “The development of the US’ use of drones against the Taleban in Afghanistan 2002-2021.”
- Cyber security theory and practice by specific countries at specific times, e.g., “Estonia’s development of cyber security defenses after Russia’s cyber-attacks in 2006”.
- Something else on strategy and security as long as you are very specific in answering the basic questions of “What? Where? When? How? and Why?”
- Must include citations,
- Must include a title page with your name, course name and number, ID number, and date.
- Must include a table of contents.
- Must include a bibliography with citations in Chicago Manual of Style.
- Times New Roman Font, 12-point pitch.
- One-inch margins both left and right, top and bottom.
- Page numbers bottom center.
- All paragraphs must be indented.
- Use left alignment only, NOT justification, e.g.:
- 10 pages, NOT including the title page, table of contents, and bibliography.