For this assignment, you are to pick one of the following museums and spend some time exploring its site. Be sure to read about the museum’s history, mission statement, and search the collection.
Option 1: The Victoria & Albert Museum, London (Links to an external site.)
Option 2: The Louvre, Paris (Links to an external site.) (Also a big site. Go to Collection & Lourve Palace > Search the Collection to find your object).
Option 3: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY (Links to an external site.)
Answer the following questions in paragraph format:
- What museum did you pick?
- Where is it located?
- What type of art does it feature?
- Who established this museum and why?
Once you’ve obtained some background information on the museum, pick one object (painting, sculpture, decorative art object) from the collection and write an analysis of it. Be sure to discuss the formal elements as well as contextual history and information of your chosen object. You want the reader to have a full understanding of what the object is, what it is about, and the context in which it was created.
Format your paper as follows:
- At the top of the page, include an image of the object you will be analyzing. Be sure to include a proper object caption (just like the label on the museum’s site and as seen in your text).
- Your first paragraph should answer the above general questions about the museum.
- Your second paragraph should contain the analysis of your object.
- Include footnotes and a bibliography for any citations at the end.