You are the HR manager for Makite Solutions, a small-medium sized logistics company which
distributes products nationally. Makite provide high-performance logistics and supply chain
management to customers. Starting by delivering in their local area, they have experienced
explosive growth over the last 3 years, becoming one of the leading lights in their sector. Makite is
a unionised workplace.
This growth, however, has caused problems for Makite Solutions. Employee relations have become
difficult between Makite and their staff and conflict is starting to become commonplace. Employees
have mentioned “differences in personality styles”, “lack of respect” and “lack of support”. There is
currently industrial unrest within the organisation, with instances of go slow tactics and talks of
As the HR manager, you have been tasked to create a policy document of key legal aspects and
their implications, for Makite’s intranet library. You will also generate an advisory briefing note to
senior managers facing industrial unrest in the organisation.
Preparation for the Tasks:
Refer to the indicative content in the unit to guide and support your evidence.
Pay attention to how your evidence is presented, remember you are working in the People
Practice Team for this task.
Ensure that the evidence generated for this assessment remains your own work.
You will also benefit from:
Reflecting on your own experiences of learning opportunities and training and continuing
Reading the CIPD Insight, Fact Sheets and related online material on these topics.
You should relate academic concepts, theories, and professional practice to the assessment
task(s), in a critical and informed way, and with reference to key texts, articles and other
Don’t forget to:
Complete the front cover sheet, sign with a “wet signature” and place at the front of your
Use the bullet points below each task as headings and sub-headings so your marker can see
where your answer begins.
Level 5 Associate Diploma
Task One – Policy Document
You are required to produce a policy document containing key legal aspects and their implications.
This should be designed to sit on the company’s intranet and should be formal in style.
The policy document can be broken down into two sections:
- a) A review of emerging developments to inform approaches to employee voice and engagement
- b) Differentiate between employee involvement and employee participation and how it builds
relationships (AC 1.2)
- c) Assess a range of employee voice tools and approaches to drive employee engagement. (AC 1.3)
- d) Critically evaluate the interrelationships between employee voice and organisational performance.
- e) Explain the concept of better working lives and how this can be designed. (AC 1.5)
- a) Explain the principles of legislation relating to unfair dismissal in respect of capability and
misconduct issues. (AC 3.1)
- b) Analyse key causes of employee grievances (AC 3.2)
- c) Explain the skills required for effective grievance and discipline-handling procedures. (AC 3.3)
- d) Advise on the importance of handling grievances effectively. (AC 3.4)
Your evidence must consist of:
Policy Document (2,200 words)
Level 5 Associate Diploma
Task Two – Advisory Briefing Note
This task requires you to produce an advisory briefing note to senior managers facing industrial unrest
in the organisation.
The advisory note should contain:
Distinguish between organisational conflict and misbehaviour, and between informal and
formal conflict. (AC 2.1)
Distinguish between official and unofficial employee action. (AC 2.2)
Assess emerging trends in the types of conflict and industrial sanctions. (AC.2.3)
Distinguish between third-party conciliation, mediation and arbitration. (AC.2.4)
Explain the main provisions of collective employment law. (AC 4.1)
Compare the types of employee bodies, union and non-union forms of employee
representation (AC 4.2)
Evaluate the purpose of collective bargaining and how it works. (AC 4.3)